Common Names are Pandanas, Screw Palm, Screw pine.
Red fruit-Buah merah
This is a post I shared on Face Book
Contrary to a statement uttered by my Religious Education Tutor in his first lecture-” The garden of Eden is a myth” he followed it up by saying ” if you can’t handle these topics, leave now” There were about 5 topics. I stayed for 2 years instead of the planned 3. I worship the creator of this earth.
I recently discovered, quite by accident, a plant I was familiar with all my life as a wind breaker, and whose leaves and roots were used to create handicraft items like mats and baskets. In my experience it was never associated with health benefits, No part of the plant was known to be safe for human consumption.
There is a young plant right outside my gate.
The Red Fruit seen in the image is known to be rich in health benefits, I was aware of this plant from childhood, and I am now learning of its health benefits at age 75; What a statement on our system of education.
Health Education In All Schools please- emphasis on Plants and herbs.
Research reported that the leaves are used in some Asian countries for making Tea. I wonder how many people in Barbados, Dominica, St. Lucia and the rest of the Caribbean were aware of this fact.
On reading this information for the first time. I immediately searched the internet for images of the plant to make sure it was the same plant I knew, and sure enough it was.
We actually have a few plants in Anguilla, there is a young plant right outside my gate. There are some 750 accepted species of pandanas grown in different parts of the world, mainly in south East Asia, India and the Caribbean,
Food and medicines (Bears a fruit second only to the coconut in South East Asia._
Flavoring beverages ( Flowers)
Economic-clothing, handicrafts, housing, In Barbados they are gown as windbreakers, especially if a home is build on a hill facing the wind. The plant is capable of withstanding strong winds.
Health Benefits of pandanus -Red Fruit ( Buah Merah)
1. Help cure Aids- (rich in tocopheral and beta carotene when consolidated can kill the infection that causes HIV and AIDS)
2. Prevent the risk of cancer- ( high in antioxidants.)
3. Prevent risk of Diabetes- (support the work of pancreas in delivering insulin at a steady level)
4. Helps in preventing stroke-( helps in boosting the stream of blood in the body, ensuring that oxygen in the blood is consistent)
5. Prevent the risk of diabetes (helps in diminishing the high measures of sugar in the blood and supports the pancreas in delivering insulin at a steady level.)
6. (Help cure Hepatitis-rich in cancer prevention agents which help in the development on cells in the liver and re-establish it. helps in upgrading the liver capacity and taking out the infection that caused hepatitis.)
7. (Lowers Uric acid in your system-high amount of tocopherols, helpful in giving normal measures of uric acid in the body,
improves brain function-rich in omega 3 fatty acids.)
8. Prevents brain disorder.
9. Improves skin care- (antioxidant and antibacterial properties).
10. (Lowers cholesterol level-contains an antioxidant known to reduce bad cholesterol)
11. Prevents eye disorder- ( rich in beta carotene )
12. Helps to prevent lupus – ( scientific studies suggested that consumption of red fruit is very helpful in preventing lupus)
13. Helps to prevent Osteoporosis- ( rich in calcium, copper, manganese and phosphorous )
14. Increase Passion and Fertility- ( contains high energy -360 calories and Vitamin E increases sperm manufacturing.)
Apparently the first study on the benefits of red fruit was done around 2000- by Dr.Mde Budi MSC Biologist and Lecturer from Cendrawasih University- only on the market since 2005
The University was established in 1962.
This content was mostly acquired as a result of Internet research supported by scientific studies
For further reading please do some researching for yourself, start with the following suggested links.
curebuzz.com-health benefuts of red fruit.
ifrj.upm.edu.my-pandanus conoideus-International Food Researcr Journal
When I am not researching plants and herbs, I am carving wood.
I beg you to lobby the powers that be, to introduce Health Education in All Schools.