Please Lobby the powers that be to introduce Health Education in all Schools
I have been drinking lemon grass tea for some time, totally unaware of it’s health benefits.
Currently I am growing lemongrass in pots on the porch and in the small garden; for me It does better in the pots; requires a sunny location and plenty of water.
Prior to a month ago I only grew lemongrass for making tea, but I went with some friends for dinner at a local restaurant, where we ordered Tuna, one of the friends invited the waiter over and politely inquired what the piece of green grass garnishing the tuna; I immediately recognized it as lemon grass, as confirmed by the waiter.
Lemon grass tea is a refreshing and delightful citrusy drink, with a mild sweetish taste of lemon; whether hot or cold.or made from fresh or dried lemongrass. I
It is consumed in Thai, Asian and Caribbean countries. It is a favorite Ayruvedic medicine and has been used in India for many years for medicinal purposes. I also discovered very recently that the pandanus, which I knew all my life is part of a Thai recipe for tea; never thought it was a health food; after 75 years.
Making lemon grass tea is easy-see links below.
Health Benefits of Lemon Grass
1. Full of antioxidants
2. Boost Metabolism and Burns fat
3. Regulates High Blood Sugar- (lemon grass is rich in potassium, which increases the production of urine in the body. Thus stimulated blood circulation, and lowers blood pressure.)
4. Good for digestion. (Chinese medicine uses it for all stomach problems like indigestion, constipation and bloating)
5. Heals Cold and Flu. (lemon grass has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, it is also high in vitamin C to heal the immunity system)
6. Relieves menstrual pain. (Its soothing effect helps to relieve menstrual pain and hot flashes., great for w omens health. )
7. Great for hair and skin care, (it is a great source of vitamin C, A. treats acne, eczema and pimples.
8 It has antimicrobial properties. It may help treat cavities and oral infections.
9. It has anti-inflamatory properties (citral and geranial – a flagrant oil present in lemon grass oil and used in perfumery-(Wikipedia)
10. May reduce risk of cancer. (helps fight cancer)
11. May acts as a Diuretic
12. May lower cholesterol (high cholesterol increases the risk of heart attack and stroke.)
13. May reduce Systolic blood pressure
14. May help to lose weight
Breast feeding or pregnant women should stay away from lemon grass,
Diabetics should consult their Doctor, as lemon grass is known to lower blood sugar levels.
Do not consume lemon grass if you suffer from the following-
low heart rate
Have low potassium levels
Take prescription diuretics
Possible Side effects
Low in saturated fat
Low in Cholesterol
Low in sodium
Good source of the following-
Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5,B6.
Remember- All things in moderation.
Lemon grass is easy to grow, can grow indoors, in pots on the porch as I am growing, or in the backyard.
I am not a doctor, scientist, or a care giver, I am just a curious researcher, you can do the same to gain further information. Google- health benefits of lemongrass- and broaden your health education.
Sources for research
thespruceeats.com- (for lemongrass and its various uses in foods and drinks)
hewanderlustkitchen.com. (great information, recipes and instructions.)