It’s amazing to see what is left remaining after a buffet dinner, and everyone has gone home; every serving tray or dish will be empty except the salad and vegetables. There is a change in the air as more and more people are becoming aware of the importance of consuming fruits and vegetable for good health.
Broccoli is on my weekly shopping list and is the most popular of all my vegetables. It is one of the healthiest vegetables you can consume today; and is possibly the most popular of the cruciferous family- kale, cabbage, cauliflower, turnips, collard greens, bok choy and Brussels sprouts’.
There is no doubt that consuming fruits and vegetables reduces the risk of numerous lifestyle-related health conditions;- obesity, heart disease and diabetes among them.
Broccoli is reported to have been introduced to the USA during colonial, times but did not become popular until the 1920s. It is said that the Romans had a healthy appetite for broccoli, which was developed from the wild cabbage; maybe explaining the origin of the name “brocollo” which means “cabbage sprout’
Broccoli is loaded with vitamins, minerals fiber and other bioactive compounds; which may contribute to reduced inflammation and better health
1. Lowers risk of Cancer ( especially lung and colon cancer)
2. Abundant supply of Vitamin C. ( antioxidant that supports skin health and help slow the aging process.)
3. Improves Bone Health. ( adequate amount of vitamin k to improve bone health.)
4. Offers protection from chronic disease. ( provides high dietary fiber to lower risks of developing hypertension, stroke coronary heart disease, obesity, and diabetes.
5. Improves digestion, reduces and natural detoxification.( the natural fiber in broccoli helps to maintain a healthy digestive tract and lowers the risk of colon cancer; reduces constipation)
6. May slow mental decline and support healthy brain and nervous tissue function.
7. Supports a healthy immune system. ( Broccoli is loaded with Vitamin C, the most essential nutrient for immune function)
8. May support Oral and Dental health.( Vitamin C and Calcium are associated with decreased risk of periodontal disease.
9. May support a healthy pregnancy ( Broccoli is a good source of B vitamins, essential for the development of the fetal brain and spinal cord )
Broccoli Sprouts are very new to me, I have never seen or heard of them until today, the day I am researching the health benefits of Broccoli.
Broccoli sprouts’ are the immature broccoli plants, the sprouts’ appear when the plant is around three to four days old. It is reported that in the late nineties, researchers at Johns Hpokins University discovered that at the stage of 3 around three days old the sprouts’ has higher concentrations of “good-for-you chemicals than mature broccoli; which lead to people researching and eating the sprouts’.The popularity is due to the fact that cruciferous vegetables contain compounds that have anti-inflammatory,anti-aging and perhaps cancer fighting possibilities, broccoli offering the highest benefits.
For further reading, search the Internet for the -Health Benefits of Broccoli, heathline.com and madical news today.com are excellent choices to begin your search.
“Too much of a good thing can dangerous” look out for any caution on consuming too much broccoli, remember that potassium can interact with certain medications; seek the appropriate medical advice.
Cognitive Function Test 12A
Identify the five word sentence from the jumbled letters below.
Clue 4 + 3 + 4 + 8 + 11 = 30
S I T L E T H T M S O R P W O L E F U O R C U S I F U C R E
Copyright 2018 Courtney Devonish